Published on: January 2, 2023
Why in news? Scientists at the Central Horticultural Experiment Station (CHES) in Kodagu have developed a new variety called ‘Arka Coorg Ravi’, that will further improve coffee-based avocado cultivation in the district.
- The new variety will have 80% pulp and the rest seed, making the fruit profitable for farmers.
- The fruit is grown on about 500 hectares in Kodagu amidst the coffee plantations and the area of cultivation has seen a rise in recent years
- Farmers from different parts of Karnataka and also from Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, and Telangana have been purchasing avocado saplings or grafts to grow in their State.
- Since Kodagu district saw two natural calamities (2018 and 2019), caused huge losses to farmers, especially coffee growers, they are now growing avocados on the coffee plantations.
- As part of crop diversification, the farmers are growing ‘Coorg mandarin’ oranges, grown as a mixed crop on the estates along with coffee and black pepper.
- The Coorg mandarin cultivation is coming down due to the threat of citrus greening disease.
- Medium-sized, evergreen tree in the laurel family
- Native : America and was first domesticated by Mesoamerican tribes
- Likely originated in the highlands bridging south-central Mexico and Guatemala.
- This trees are partially self-pollinating, and are often propagated through grafting to maintain consistent fruit output.
- They are presently cultivated in the tropical and Mediterranean climates of many countries.
- Leading producer : Mexico
- Major Production : Chile, Mexico and California
- Health Benefit : Miracle fruit for its health and nutritional benefits, huge demand in the cosmetic industry and are used in many skincare products
Avocados in India
- Grown scattered in southern tropical states like Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, and Maharashtra.
- It grows plenty in hill stations of India.
- Common fruit in Ooty, Coorg, Coonoor, Yercaudyand Kodaikanal in South India
- They are grown at higher elevations frequently, to prevent soil erosion.
- Can withstand poor drainage and water logging