Published on: July 20, 2021
What is in news : The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister has approved the continuation of National AYUSH Mission (NAM) as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme from 01-04-2021 to 31-03-2026
NOTE: AYUSH stands for Ayurveda, Siddha, Unani and Homoeopathy systems of medicine.
- Centrally sponsored scheme
- Launched in 2014
- By the Department of Ayush, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- Promote the AYUSH systems of medicine through cost-effective services
- Boosting its educational systems
- Quality control of AYUSH drugs
- Ensuring the sustainable availability of AYUSH raw materials.
The vision of the Ayush Mission are:
- Providing cost-effective and equitable AYUSH healthcare all over India by enhancing access to the services.
- Strengthening and revitalising the AYUSH systems enabling them to become prominent medical streams in the country in the healthcare sector.
- Improving educational institutions that can impart knowledge in AYUSH streams.
- Promoting quality control of AYUSH drugs by developing quality standards and ensuring the availability of AYUSH raw materials.
The expected outcomes of the mission are as follows:
- Better access to AYUSH healthcare services through increased healthcare facilities offering AYUSH services and better availability of medicines and trained manpower,
- Improvement in AYUSH education through a well-equipped enhanced number of AYUSH Educational institutions,
- To focus on reducing communicable/non-communicable diseases through targeted public health programmes using AYUSH systems of Healthcare.