Published on: November 2, 2023
Why in news? Three people were killed and over a hundred injured during a stick-fight at the Banni festival in Devaragattu village
- Banni festival is an unusual traditional stick fight festival celebrated in Andhra Pradesh.
- Banni actually refers to mock fight for capturing the idols during the festival
How is Banni Festival Celebrated?
- Annually it is celebrated on the night of Dussehra festival (Vijayadashami).
- They carry long sticks or lathis with them for hitting each other with these sticks on the head.
What is the historical significance?
- Festival was celebrated by people under Vijayanagara Empire and believed to be a very ancient in practise.
- It commemorates the triumph of Lord Mala Malleswara Swamy and Goddess Parvati over the demon Mani and Mallasura, who caused distress to the people in the Devaragattu region