Published on: November 2, 2023
Puneeth Rajkumar Hrudaya Jyothi scheme
Why in news? Karnataka State heart attack project named Puneeth Rajkumar Hrudaya Jyothi scheme
- Programme aims to treat patients within the ‘golden hour’, the period which is crucial to save people who suffer a cardiac arrest.
- It is conceived with a dual objective to provide timely treatment to cardiac arrest patients and to prevent immediate heart attacks.
Plan of Action
- The scheme is set to adopt a ‘hub and spoke’ model of operation.
- The 85 district and Taluk hospitals will act as ‘spoke’ centers, while 16 super-specialty hospitals will serve as ‘hub’ centers.
- Patients with chest pain can visit the spoke centers to receive an electrocardiogram (ECG) test, to determine the severity of condition.
- Artificial Intelligence technology will help to identify critical or non-critical cases within minutes.
- Critical condition will receive a free Tenecteplase injection, known for its effectiveness in preventing sudden cardiac arrest.
- Below Poverty Line (BPL) cards will receive free treatment at the hub centers
- Above Poverty Line (APL) cardholders can avail free treatment under the Arogya Karnataka Ayushman Bharat Health Card.
Defibrillators to the Masses
- Scheme aims to install Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) at public places like bus stands, railway stations, airports, and courts to offer immediate assistance to individuals who suffer sudden cardiac arrest.
- It’s a proactive measure signifies the government’s commitment to public health and increases the chances of survival for cardiac arrest patients.