Published on: November 8, 2021
Bathukamma festival was screened on Burj Khalifa
- Floral festival celebrated predominantly by the Telangana and some parts of Andhra Pradesh.
- Celebrated for nine days during Durga Navratri
- Starts on the day of Mahalaya Amavasya and the 9-day festivities will culminate on “Saddula Bathukamma” or “Pedda Bathukamma” festival on Ashwayuja Navami, popularly known as Durgashtami which is two days before Dussehra.
- Beautiful flower stack, arranged with different unique seasonal flowers most of them with medicinal values, in seven concentric layers in the shape of temple gopuram.
- Means ‘Mother Goddess come Alive’ and Goddess Maha Gauri-‘Life Giver’ is worshipped in the form of Bathukamma , the patron goddess of womanhood, Gauri Devi.
- Also regarded as the Spring Festival of Goddess Gauri.
- All the women are dressed colorfully and form a circle around ‘Bathukamma’ and dance before immersing it to the nearest water body.