Published on: November 8, 2021
Politicization http://greymarkconstruction.com/wp-json/oembed/1.0/embed?url=https://greymarkconstruction.com/big-after/ of Ban on Chhath Pooja is being witnessed
- Hindu festival dedicated to the Sun god and his wife Usha in order to thank them for bestowing the bounties of life on earth.
- The Goddess who is worshipped is known as Chhathi Maiya (also known as Usha, wife of the sun god).
- Meaning of word – sixth
- Festival is celebrated on the sixth day of the month Kartika of the Hindu lunar Bikram Sambat calendar.
- Observed over a period of four days.
- Include holy bathing, fasting, standing in water for long periods of time, and offering prayers and food to the setting and rising sun.
- Who observe it – The main worshipers, called Parvaitin, are usually women. However, many men also observe this festival as Chhath is not a gender-specific festival.
- Regions: The festival is observed most elaborately in Mithila Province of Nepal, Terai-Madhesh region of Nepal, Indian states of Bihar, Jharkhand and UP. It is also more prevalent in areas where migrants from those areas have a presence.