Published on: September 14, 2021
BENGALURU METROPOLITAN LAND TRANSPORT AUTHORITY
What is in news : The government of Karnataka proposes to revolutionise mobility systems and put an end to the culture of agencies working in silos with the Bengaluru Metropolitan Land Transport Authority (BMLTA) Bill
- Why the authority :
- To take consolidated decisions on bus, trains, metro and “any other mode” of transport
- Transport infrastructure constructed by multiple agencies
- Bridge the gap between various transport service providers, issues like digging up newly laid roads, overlapping of works and even land acquisition delays can be resolved with the intervention of the authority
- Benefit: Will be the driving force in implementing the comprehensive mobility plan, transit-oriented development along metro lines while acting as a key advisor in preparation of the much delayed master plan for the city.
- Under : Urban Development Department
- Will be headed by the CM
- Other members : Heads of transport, urban development, PWD, BBMP, BDA, BMRDA and DULT among others
- Corporations providing bus, metro and suburban rail services as well as enforcing authorities like police commissioner and pollution control board will be ex-officio members
- The divisional railway manager and National Highways Authority’s regional officer will special invitees.
- A 16-member executive committee led by the chief secretary will meet at least once in four months to go through the transport-related project proposals