Published on: September 13, 2021
SNIPPETS- 13 SEPTEMBER 2021
- State government sent a proposal to the Centre seeking Ramsar site tag for the Ranganathittu bird sanctuary in Mandya district, Aghanashini estuary in Uttara Kannada, Magadi-Shettikeri tanks in Gadag and Ankasamudra in Ballari.Wetlands are the transitional zone between land and water, where saturation with water is the dominant .A Ramsar site is a wetland site designated to be of international importance under the Ramsar Convention.Ramsar identifies wetlands of international importance, especially those providing waterfowl habitat.
- World’s largest plant that has been designed to suck carbon dioxide (CO2) from air and turn it into rock in Iceland.
- Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and U.S. Secretary of Energy, co-chaired a virtual Ministerial meeting and launched the revamped U.S.-India Strategic Clean Energy Partnership (SCEP).The revitalized SCEP emphasises on electrification and decarbonization of processes and end uses, scaling up and accelerating deployment of emerging clean energy technologies, and finding solutions for hard-to-decarbonize sectors.
- KYC-VS is a new application programming interface (API) launched on the CoWIN platform. The new feature will enable entities to check an individual’s status of vaccination through CoWIN.
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has handed over the first deliverable Firing Unit (FU) of Medium Range Surface to Air Missile (MRSAM) System to Indian Air Force (IAF).
- September 12 marks the 124th anniversary of the Battle of Saragarhi.
- The Prime Minister has paid rich tributes to Acharya Vinoba Bhave on his Jayanti.
- British teenager Emma Raducanu becomes the first British woman in 44 years to win a Slam crown in US Open finals tennis Grand Slam
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has paid homage to Mahakavi Subramania Bharati on his 100th Punya Tithi.Subramania Bharathi, was a Tamil writer, poet, journalist, Indian independence activist, social reformer and polyglot. Popularly known as “Mahakavi Bharathi”, he was a pioneer of modern Tamil poetry and is considered one of the greatest Tamil literary figures of all time
- The configuration for the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA)-Mk2 has been frozen and steel cutting is expected to begin soon while configuration for the fifth-generation Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) has been frozen and preliminary design completed.Heavy weapons of the class of Scalp, Crystal Maze and Spice-2000 will also be integrated on the Mk2. The LCA-Mk2 will be a heavier and much more capable aircraft than the current LCA variants.The Mk2 is 1,350 mm longer featuring canards and can carry a payload of 6,500 kg compared to 3,500 kg the LCA can carry.
- World EV Day is observed on September 9 every year in order to mark the celebration of e-mobility.
- United Nations observed the International Day to Protect Education from attack.First ever ‘International Day to Protect Education from Attack’ was observed by United Nations on September 9, 2020.This resolution was presented by the State of Qatar and 62 co-sponsoring countries.
- Union Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, inaugurated “Digital Population Clock”on September 10, 2021.Population clock was launched in order to provide minute by minute estimate of India’s population. It will also capture data on Total Fertility Rate, Infant Mortality Rate as well as Maternal Mortality Rate. It will help in raising awareness in young generations and conducting research.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the state of art Sardardham Bhavan at Ahmedabad.Sardardham Bhavan will empower India’s future generations as well as inspire them to lead their lives by following the principles followed by Sardar Patel in his life. These youngsters will play decisive roles by the time India completed 100 years of independence in 2047.