Published on: December 12, 2022
BHANDARKAR ORIENTAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE
Why in news? Murty Trust, has announced a grant of 7.5 crore to the over-a-century-old Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute (BORI), Pune.
- The grant will be used to build The Murty Centre for Indic Studies at the institute.
- It will work to ‘preserve and promote research on rare books and manuscripts in Sanskrit and Prakrit’.
- The new building will provide a conservation laboratory to support the upkeep of these books.
- Murty trust is a charitable institution owned by the founders of Infosys
About Bhandarkar Oriental Research Institute
- Location : Pune, Maharashtra
- It was founded and named after Ramakrishna Gopal Bhandarkar, long regarded as the founder of Indology (Orientalism) in India.
- The institute is well known for its collection of old Sanskrit and Prakrit manuscripts.
- Largest collections of rare books and manuscripts in South Asia
- The Rigveda manuscripts preserved at the Institute were included in UNESCO’s Memory of the World Register.
- Among the several scholars , the most well-known person arguably is the Bharat Ratna awardee, Pt. Pandurang Vaman Kane.