Published on: October 22, 2023
Why in news? CBI launches Operation Chakra-II
- Operation Chakra-II is launched to fight against transnational organised cyber-enabled financial crimes in India.
- The operation roots back after registering five separate cases of cyber-enabled financial fraud, including a 100-crore crypto scam
- Amazon and Microsoft had registered a complaint over call centers for impersonating technical group of these companies to target foreign nationals.
Features of the operation
- CBI has partnered with Microsoft and Amazon as well as with national and international agencies to combat and dismantle infrastructure of illegal call centres.
- Cases were registered based on “critical inputs” provided by the Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU).
- The CBI is working with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) of the USA, Cyber Crime Directorate and IFCACC of INTERPOL, the National Crime Agency (NCA) in the UK, Singapore Police Force and BKA of Germany to notify further leads.
- Operation was conducted by the CBI in coordination with the Interpol, the FBI and police forces of multiple countries in 2022 .
- The agency had conducted searches at 115 locations with police forces in various state against cyber criminals involved in financial crimes.