Published on: January 10, 2022
Bharath Subramanian becomes 73 chess grandmaster of India. He completed his third and final GM norm at Vergani Cup Open in Italy.
ABOUT CHESS GRANDMASTER
- What : Title awarded to chess players by the world chess organization FIDE.
- Highest title a chess player can attain.
- Usually held for life, though exceptionally it has been revoked for cheating.
- The title, along with the lesser FIDE titles of International Master (IM) and FIDE Master (FM), is open to all players regardless of gender.
- The International Correspondence Chess Federation (ICCF) awards the title of International Correspondence Chess Grandmaster (ICCGM). Both of these bodies are now independent of FIDE, but work in co-operation with it.
- Super grandmaster (super GM) is an informal term to refer to the world’s elite players, usually players who are serious contenders for the World Championship.