Published on: February 10, 2022
CHINTAMANI PADYA NATAKAM
Recently, Andhra Pradesh government banned a 100-year-old play named ‘Chintamani Padya Natakam’
ABOUT THE PLAY
- Written in 1920 by playwright Kallakuri Narayana Rao, who was also a social reformer.
- Is about Chintamani, a courtesan and a devotee of Lord Krishna, who finds salvation by singing bhajans.
- Chintamani is courted by Subbi Shetty, a businessman from the Arya Vysya community, who loses his wealth and family due to his attraction to Chintamani.
- The original play had a social message, but over the years, it has been modified purely for entertainment.
WHY WAS IT BANNED
- Arya Vysya community leaders say the content and dialogues are offensive, and they are ridiculed about their appearance through the character, who is always portrayed as a short and dark-coloured person.
- The play has undergone many changes over the decades, and to make it more entertaining and funny, crude and vulgar language is used in many places, drawing the ire of the community.