Published on: November 24, 2022
Climate Change Performance Index
Why in news?
India has been ranked amongst top 5 countries in the world, and the best among the G20 countries, based on its Climate Change performance.
- India jumps 2 spots higher, and is now ranked 8th as per Climate Change Performance Index (CCPI, 2023)
- In the CCPI 2023, no country was reported to have performed well enough in all index categories to achieve an overall “very high” rating in the index. Thus, the first three ranks in the overall ranking remain empty.
- Denmark was ranked the best country and was ranked fourth followed by Sweden (5th), Chile (6th), Morocco (7th) and India (8th).
- Released by : German Watch, New Climate Institute and Climate Action Network International based in Germany
- Published annually since 2005
- Four parameters: GHG Emissions, Renewable Energy, Energy Use and Climate Policy .
- It is an independent monitoring tool for tracking the climate protection performance of 59 countries and the EU.
- India as the only G-20 country in the top 10 rank
What is the main aim of the index?
- It aims to enhance transparency in international climate politics and enables comparison of climate protection efforts and progress made by individual countries