CRIMSON ROSE BUTTERFLIES
The pristine beach of Dhanushkodi at the southern-most tip of the Rameswaram island in the Indian peninsula has witnessed a rare phenomenon over the past few days. Thousands of Crimson Rose butterflies swarmed all available flowering plants along the beach.
CRIMSON ROSE BUTTERFLY
- Large butterfly with a mix of black, white and crimson colours on its wings and body
- Known for crossing the sea to migrate to Sri Lanka
- Recent migration from Dhanushkodi in large numbers is significant
- One by one, the butterflies used the coastline like a predetermined path and continued their journey.
- Butterflies made small pit stops on flowering plants to fuel their journey
- Spotted on Ipomoea flowers and Half leaf flowers on the beach