What is in news : An acute shortage of di-ammonium phosphate (DAP) in Haryana has seen desperate farmers pelting stones at the police, blocking roads in protest, and even resorting to “loot” the fertilizer from a private dealer’s outlet in Mahendragarh district of south Haryana.
Why is DAP so important for farmers:
- Basic nutrient for Rabi crops
- Has to be sprinkled at the time of sowing crops like mustard and wheat.
- Farmers say they need a bag of at least 45 kilos for sowing an acre of land.
- Any delay in its supply could adversely impact the sowing of crops.
How did it all begin:
- Shortage is the fallout of less import in the wake of a spurt in the global prices of DAP.
- All India Kisan Sabha (AIKS) Haryana alleged that the problem was a fallout of mismanagement on the part of the government.