DOUBLING FARMERS INCOME
What is in news : In order to make Karnataka the first State to double farmers’ income by 2023–24, the State government has set up a farmer-centric committee to prepare a report and implement farm policies
- Ashok Dalwai, CEO of the National Rainfed Area Authority is the chairman of the comittee
- Committee would comprise farmers from the State, who would be in regular touch with Central government officials to prepare a comprehensive Karnataka-specific report on farmers’ income
ABOUT DOUBLING FARMERS INCOME
- The Union Government had constituted an inter-ministerial committee headed by Ashok Dalwai to prepare a blueprint for doubling farmers’ income by 2022.
- It noted that policy should focus on creating a favourable investment climate for increasing investment ‘in agriculture’.
- Placing agricultural marketing in the Concurrent list
- Greater private sector participation in agri-marketing and logistics.
- While GST is a step in the right direction, a lot more needs to be done at the State level.
- Farmer producer and village producer organisations (FPO/VPO) could play a critical role in integrating small and marginal farmers into the agricultural market system.
- Union Agriculture Ministry to roll out the Model Agricultural Produce and Livestock Marketing (APLM) Rules
- Market reforms and investment in infrastructure for cold-chain integration to reduce wastages
- The committee strongly recommends stepping up of institutional credit on a large scale.
- Key aspect of doubling farmers’ income is to focus on export. The aim should be to raise agricultural export by a minimum of three times by 2022-23.
- It suggests a permanent inter-ministerial committee, including commerce, consumer affairs and agriculture. This would monitor domestic and global prices, recommending on needed changes.