Published on: August 26, 2021
What is in news : Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP),has proposed for a decentralised system for solid waste management through a act
What is proposed:
- Set up a separate company for solid waste management
- Primary responsibility of waste management will continue to remain with the BBMP
- A decentralised system with zonal/divisional/ward-level coordinators
- A Shuchi Mitra at the block level and volunteers at the lane level will be put in place to maintain cleanliness across the city
- Junior health inspectors and marshals were working actively and urged citizens to join hands with civic officials to keep the city clean
- Under the Citizen Participation Programme, the zonal/constituency/ward level coordinators will track block performance on segregation, complaints received from citizens, penalties levied, and monitor the performance of SWM units in the ward. They will also identify gaps and conduct training sessions as ‘Master Trainers’.
- At the block level, the Shuchi Mitras will take inputs from lane volunteers and work with autorickshaw drivers, supervisors, link workers and marshals, report on the door-to-door collection, conduct awareness sessions on segregation at source, and track the black spots in the block.