Published on: January 7, 2022
ELECTION EXPENDITURE LIMITS
Election Commission announced a hike in expenditure limit for candidates to Rs 95 lakh (up from Rs 70 lakh) for Lok Sabha elections, and Rs 40 lakh (up from Rs 28 lakh) for Assembly polls.
- The government’s decision is based on the poll panel’s recommendation.
- EC had formed a committee to study cost factors and other related issues, and subsequently make suitable recommendations
- Invited suggestions from political parties, chief electoral officers and election observers, and found that there has been a substantial increase in the number of electors and Cost Inflation Index since 2014.
- Factored in the changing modes of campaigning, which is gradually shifting to virtual mode.
- Candidates in Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Goa and Manipur can now go for increased poll expenditure.