Published on: March 25, 2023
Electronic Manufacturing Cluster
Why in news? The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) has approved the establishment of an Electronic Manufacturing Cluster (EMC) at Dharwad.
- The project, which is being set up at Kotur-Belur Industrial Area in Dharwad District of Karnataka under the EMC 2.0 scheme, is expected to catalyze investments to the tune of over 1,500 Crores.
- This new EMC has a strategic locational advantage and well connected with NH-48 and Hubli Domestic Airport , which will reduce the logistics/ transportation cost of the industry in the EMC.
- Nine companies, including start-ups, have already committed to making investments with an potential employment opportunities.
- Karnataka is emerging as a Global Electronics Manufacturing hub for India, as it hosts telecom giants like Apple in Kolar (Wistron) and Devanahalli (Foxconn).
About Modified Electronics Manufacturing Clusters (EMC 2.0) Scheme
- The EMC 2.0 Scheme would provide financial assistance for setting up of both EMC projects and Common Facility Centres (CFCs) across the country in line with National Policy for Electronics (NPE), 2019.
- For the purpose of this Scheme, an Electronics Manufacturing Cluster (EMC) would set up in geographical areas of certain minimum extent, preferably contiguous, in focus is on development of basic infrastructure, amenities and other common facilities for the ESDM units.
- For Common Facility Centre (CFC), there should be a significant number of existing ESDM units located in the area and the focus is on upgrading common technical infrastructure and providing common facilities for the ESDM units in such EMCs, Industrial Areas/Parks/industrial corridors.