Etalin hydroelectric project
http://rmrestaurant.co.uk/contact-us Why in news? http://dardogallettostudios.com/blog/2014/04/08/carlos-barrionuevo-mayte-valdes-tango-workshops-may-3rd/ The proposed Etalin hydroelectric project in Arunachal Pradesh has been scrapped in its present form due to threats for local biodiversity
- Recently, Forest Advisory Committee said the proposal cannot be considered in its present form and a revised proposal may be submitted for further consideration.
How the project be a threat to Biodiversity ?
- The proposal, involved diversion of 1165.66 hectares of forest land and in dense subtropical, evergreen, broad-leafed, and subtropical rainforest
- The region is a high-mountain watershed prone to natural hazards because of its unique and complex geological, ecosystem, weather and climatic conditions
- Project is likely to impact the habitat and the survival of several endemic and threatened terrestrial species such as the Snow Leopard, Red Panda, Clouded Leopard, Tiger, Arunachal Macaque, Black-necked crane, and the rare Mishmi Wren Babble
About Etalin Hydroelectric Project
- The Project was proposed to be a joint venture between Jindal Power Ltd and the Hydropower Development Corporation of Arunachal Pradesh
- The plan combined two run-of-the-river schemes with concrete gravity dams on rivers Tangon and Dri.
About forest advisory committee
- It is a statutory body of the Ministry of Environment Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) formed under the Forest Conservation Act of 1980.
About Dibang river
- Upstream tributary river of the Brahmaputra
- State : Arunachal Pradesh.
- Mouth: Lohit River
- Originates and flows through the Mishmi Hills in the (Upper) Dibang Valley and Lower Dibang Valley districts.
- Tributaries: Sisar, Mathun, Tangon, Dri, Ithun and Emra