Published on: January 19, 2023
Why in news? Archaeological Survey of India all set to begin Excavation at Purana Qila again
- Objective of the latest excavation is the exposure and preservation of the trenches from previous excavation
- Earlier excavations: Painted grey ware, an earthen pottery sequence from Maurya to Shunga, Kushana, Gupta, Rajput, Sultanates and Mughal periods.
- Excavated Artefacts: Sickles, parers, terracotta toys, kiln- burnt bricks , beads , terracotta figurines, seal and dealings etc.
About Purana Qila
- It is one of the oldest forts in Delhi.
- Built by : Humayun and Surid Sultan Sher Shah Suri,
- The fort formed the inner citadel of the city of Dinpanah
- The construction of the walls and fortifications were almost finished by Humayun’s time.
- Purana Qila and its environs flourished as the “sixth city of Delhi”.
Qila-i Kuhna Mosque and the Shermandal, both credited to Sher Shah.