Published on: September 14, 2021
EV CARS LEGISLATION – UK
What is in news : British government has announced to introduce legislation in 2021, under which all the newly built homes and offices will require to feature electric vehicle chargers in England.
- Under the legislation
- All new homes and offices will be required to feature smart charging devices which can automatically charge vehicles during off-peak periods.
- New office blocks will require to install a charging point for every five parking spaces.
- Home and office EV charger proposal is expected to start in 2022.
- This law will make England the first country in the world, that require all new homes to have EV chargers.
- Part of the movement that seeks to rapidly boost the number of chargers in England ahead of UK’s 2030 ban of new fossil-fuel vehicles.
- Significance of the legislation: Help in boosting confidence and help those who transition from gas cars in overcoming the range anxiety because many homes in England do not have off-street parking or garages.