Published on: August 28, 2021
FORUM FOR DECARBONISING TRANSPORT
What is in news : NITI Aayog and World Resources Institute (WRI) of India together launched the ‘Forum for Decarbonizing Transport’ in India
- Launched virtually as part of NDC-Transport Initiative for Asia (NDC-TIA) project
- Decrease the peak level of Greenhouse Gas emissions (transport sector) in Asia which is rising because of problems like air pollution and congestion
- Launched in line with below 2-degree pathway
- How EVs can be streamlined in India:
- Need is to create a favourable ecosystem for stakeholders
- These stakeholders should coordinate with each other to enable investment, ensure fair adoption in industry and encourage adoption.
- Thus, this forum was launched for NITI aayog & WRI to work in close coordination with the stakeholders in order to formulate strategies and develop appropriate business models to boost electric mobility across India
CO2 emission in India
- Comprises of a massive and diverse transport sector
- Also the third most CO2 emitting sector.
- According to data of IEA 2020 and Ministry of Environment Forest & Climate Change 2018, within the transport sector, road transport contributes more than 90% of the total CO2 emissions.