Published on: September 21, 2021
GLOBAL INNOVATION INDEX 2021
What is in news : India scores 46th rank in the Global Innovation Index 2021
- Released By – Co-published annually by Cornell University, INSEAD, and the World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO)
- Started in 2007
- Ranks the performance of innovation of economies and also highlights strengths and weaknesses in innovation ecosystem.
- Provides detailed innovation performance of 132 countries and economies across the globe.
- Relies around 80 indicators including measures on the political environment, education, infrastructure and knowledge creation of each economy and compile in 7 pillars to rank the 132 countries and economies across the globe.
PERFORMANCE OF INDIA
- India has climbed 2 spots and has been ranked 46th in 2021 rankings.
- The consistent improvement in the GII ranking is owing to the immense knowledge capital, the vibrant start-up ecosystem, and the amazing work done by the public and the private research organizations.
- The Scientific Departments like the Department of Atomic Energy; the Department of Science and Technology; the Department of Biotechnology and the Department of Space have played a pivotal role in enriching the National Innovation Ecosystem.
- The NITI Aayog has been working tirelessly to ensure the optimization of the national efforts for bringing policy led innovation in different areas such as electric vehicles, biotechnology, nano technology, space, alternative energy sources, etc.