Published on: September 21, 2021
G-20 AGRICULTURE MINISTERS MEET
What is in news : India is becoming the destination country for healthy food, said Union agriculture minister at meeting of G-20 Agriculture Ministers
- Agricultural research
- Has played an important role in tackling the problem of food security, improving the income of farmers and agriculturists and sustainable use of natural resources for the subsistence of the people.
- Research contributes significantly to the three aspects of food security – availability, access and affordability.
- Integrated research efforts can develop a package of techniques and methodologies for improving soil productivity, water management for storage, expansion and efficiency.
- Efforts by India
- United Nations has accepted the proposal of the Government of India and declared the year 2023 as the International Year of Millets
- Under the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana, the government is providing income support of Rs.6,000 per year to small farmers. So far, Rs 1.58 lakh crore has been deposited in the bank accounts of more than 11.37 crore farmers under this scheme.
- The ‘Per Drop- More Crop’ scheme for irrigation and ‘Paramparagat Krishi Vikas Yojana‘ for organic farming is being successfully implemented.
- Implemented the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana to provide insurance cover for the farmers.
- Oilseeds Technology Mission doubled the production of oilseeds in 10 years.
- India has made great progress in pulses production in recent times due to the introduction of new varieties in the seed system.
- Developed and released 17 varieties of different crops which are resistant to biotic and abiotic stresses.
- Developing bio-fortified varieties to meet the nutritional requirement of the people.
- National Mission on Sustainable Agriculture has been launched which promotes integrated farming systems approach in agriculture.
- The G20 (or Group of Twenty) is an intergovernmental forum
- MEMBERS – 9 countries and the European Union (EU) with representatives of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank.
- Does not have permanent offices or employees. The country that presides over the group (in an year) takes care of all the organization and the logistical coordination of the meetings. ( CURRENT – ITALY )
- It works to address major issues related to the global economy, such as international financial stability, climate change mitigation, and sustainable development.
- The G20 is composed of most of the world’s largest economies, including both industrialized and developing nations.
- The group collectively accounts for around 90 percent of gross world product (GWP), 75-80 percent of international trade, two-thirds of the world’s population, and roughly half the world’s land area.
- The G20 was founded in 1999 in response to several world economic crises.
- Since 2008, the group convenes at least once a year, with summits involving each member’s head of government or state, finance minister, foreign minister, and other high-ranking officials; the EU is represented by the European Commission and the European Central Bank.
- Other countries, international organizations, and nongovernmental organizations are invited to attend the summits, some on a permanent basis.
- At its 2009 summit, the G20 declared itself the primary venue for international economic and financial cooperation