Published on: January 1, 2022
GST COUNCIL MEETING
GST Council’s 46th meeting was held recently
WHAT HAPPEN AT THE MEET
- Recommended to defer the decision to change the rates in textiles recommended in the 45th GST Council meeting
- Existing GST rates in textile sector would continue beyond 1st January, 2022.
ABOUT GST COUNCIL
WHAT – Constitutional body for making recommendations to the Union and State Government on issues related to Goods and Service Tax.
- Article 279-A
- President to constitute a GST Council by an order
- Secretariat of the Council is located in New Delhi
- Union Revenue Secretary acts as the ex-officio Secretary to the Council.
- Will take all important decisions regarding the GST
- Dictates tax rate, tax exemption, the due date of forms, tax laws, and tax deadlines, keeping in mind special rates and provisions for some states.
- Predominant responsibility is to ensure to have one uniform tax rate for goods and services across the nation.
- Joint forum for the Centre and the States
- The Union Finance Minister will be the Chairperson
- As a member, the Union Minister of State will be in charge of Revenue of Finance
- The Minister in charge of finance or taxation or any other Minister nominated by each State government, as members.