Published on: November 3, 2023
Why in news? The Indian Army successfully carried out the inaugural firing of light combat helicopter (LCH) Prachand.
About HAL Prachand
- Manufacturer -Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
- Weight-5.8-tonne class
- Speed-Maximum speed of 288 kmph and has a combat radius of 500 km
- Function -Carry out activities such as Combat Search and Rescue (CSAR), Destruction of Enemy Air Defence (DEAD), operations against slow-moving aircraft and Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPAs)
- Operates in high-altitude bunker busting operations, counter-insurgency operations in the jungle and urban environments and provide support to ground forces.
- Features-India’s first indigenous multi-role combat helicopter
- Designed to meet the needs of the Indian armed forces operating in deserts and mountainous areas.
- Helicopter is fitted with Shakti Engine, co-developed by HAL and France’s Safran.
- The helicopter will be equipped with Helina missiles, the air force version of which is called Dhruvastra