Published on: November 3, 2023
‘One nation, One registration platform’
Why in news? The National Medical Commission (NMC) is set to launch ‘one nation, one registration platform’ for unified information on doctors
- The NMC will launch a preliminary version of the National Medical Register (NMR), a system where doctors will receive unique identification numbers in the next six months.
- It aims to eliminate duplication, red tape and allow the public to access information on any physician working in India.
- The platform will contain essential information about a medical practitioners qualifications, registration date, place of employment (hospital or institute), specialty and graduation details.
- Idea is to provide a masked ID to undergraduate students on the NMR and on completion of their course, the ID is unmasked and allotted.
- This ID can be used to update any further qualifications.
- All state registers for licenses to practice medicine in any part of the country will be linked to this platform and accessible at the click of a button.