IAF SHOW IN DAL LAKE
What is in news : IAF show named “Give wings to your dream” was conducted in Dal lake after 14 Years
The show saw a display by the IAF’s Surya Kiran Aerobatics Team, Paramotor and powered hang-glider display, flypast by MiG-21 Bison and aerobatics by Su-30 aircraft. It also included the Akashganga skydiving display, IAF symphony orchestra display and a photo exhibition depicting the history of IAF.
- Dal is a lake in Srinagar, the capital of the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir. Dal Lake is a misnomer as Dal in Kashmiri means lake.
- It is integral to tourism and recreation in Kashmir and is named the “Jewel in the crown of Kashmir” or “Srinagar’s Jewel”.
- It is also an important source for commercial operations in fishing and water plant harvesting.
- It covers an area of 18 square kilometres and is part of a natural wetland including its floating gardens.
- The floating gardens, known as “Raad” in Kashmiri, blossom with lotus flowers during July and August.
- The wetland is divided by causeways into four basins; Gagribal, Lokut Dal, Bod Dal and Nagin. Lokut-dal and Bod-dal each have an island in the centre, known as Rup Lank (or Char Chinari) and Sona Lank respectively.
- The houseboats (Shikaras) are closely associated with Dal Lake which provide accommodation to tourists in Srinagar.