ICMR SERO SURVEY
La Dolorita What is Sero Survey : A sero survey is undertaken to provide data on the proportion of infected and asymptomatic people (existing and newer groups such as children in this latest survey) especially during a global pandemic such as COVID-19.
Sault Ste. Marie What is in news : The latest serological survey conducted nationwide by the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) has found that up to two-thirds of the country’s population who are above the age of six have already been infected with the Coronavirus.
- 28,975 people were tested for the presence of SARS-CoV2 virus antibodies and 67.6% returned a positive result.
- For the first time, minors belonging to the 6 to 17 years age group were also included in the serosurvey. Nearly half of those tested were found having antibodies.
- With two-thirds of the population has already been infected and with the sero-prevalence found to be similar in urban and rural areas has greatly reduced the possibility of a third wave being as severe as the second wave was.
- Also, since at least one vaccination dose has been received by 32 crore people there would be a considerable overlap between those vaccinated and those who were infected, but the two figures put together mean that over 70% of the population over the age of six are expected to have developed some sort of immunity.
Importance of the serosurvey
- Dissipates some worries regarding the third wave.
- Help the government plan its gradual opening up process.
- ICMR says on the basis of the survey that unless the virus mutates further and begins to re-infect people the chances of a repeat of a second wave are slim.
- A 40 crore vulnerable population still leaves a fair chance for surges like the first wave, or smaller.