IISC MEDICAL SCHOOL
The Indian Institute of Science (IISc.) in Bengaluru has received its single largest private donation of ₹425 crore, which will be used to set up a postgraduate medical school along with a multispeciality 800-bed hospital on its Bengaluru campus.
- Will be in line with global examples of integrating science, engineering and medicine under a single institution, creating “physician-scientists.”
- New venture would be named IISc. Medical School and Bagchi-Parthasarathy Hospital.
- Initiative will be an integrated dual degree MD-PhD programme aimed at creating a new breed of physician-scientists, who will pursue a career in clinical research to develop new treatments and healthcare solutions, driven by a bench-to-bedside philosophy
- Aspirants will be trained simultaneously in the hospital as well as in the science and engineering laboratories at IISc
- Building of the 800-bed multispeciality hospital, catering to clinical training and research activities of the academic programme, has been designed by Archi Medes (I) Consultants Pvt. Ltd.
- Work on the project will start in June 2022, and the hospital will be operational by the end of 2024.
- Hospital will also implement advanced digital technologies and solutions, such as integrated Electronic Medical Record systems and a comprehensive telemedicine suite with haptics interfaces, the director explained.