Published on: March 14, 2023
Why in news? Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the permanent campus of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at Dharwad.
- Dharwad was chosen to house the first IIT in Karnataka in 2015 and it is one of the 3rd Generation 6 IITs announced in 2016 in the country
- A new permanent campus, spread over 470 acres in Mummigatti is said to be first smart and green IIT campus in the country
- The campus is envisaged to be eco-friendly with over 5,000 trees , jogging and cycling tracks and a mini forest which will comprise waterbodies and gazebos etc
- Ponds have been created for rainwater harvesting.
- The architects have ensured that building are constructed in accordance with the principle of classical Vijaynagar and Chalukyan style architecture
- The replica of iconic stone chariot of Vijaya Vitthala temple In Hampi is at main entrance of the campus
- The GRIHA (Green Rating for Integrated Habitat Assessment) Council has given a 5-star rating to IIT Dharwad campus.