INDIA’S FIRST SMOG TOWER
Where : Delhi
- Structures that are designed as large-scale air purifiers in order reduce air pollution particles.
- Prototype for such structure was built in 2017 in Beijing (China) by Dutch artist Daan Roosegaarde
What is in news : Chief Minister of Delhi, will inaugurate India’s first smog tower at Baba Kharak Singh Marg in Connaught Place (CP), Delhi.
- 20-metre-tall structure
- Set up to improve air quality in a radius of around 1 km.
- Will operate at full capacity after the monsoon season.
- Performance of the tower will be assessed by scientists of the Delhi Pollution Control Committee and they will present a monthly report
- Developed by experts at the University of Minnesota, United States
ALSO IN NEWS : Central government will build a 25-metre-tall smog tower at Anand Vihar. It is likely to become operational by August 31.