Published on: April 23, 2022
INNOVATIONS FOR DEFENCE EXCELLENCE
Defence Minister launched Innovations for Defence Excellence (iDEX) Prime and the sixth Defence India Start-up Challenge (DISC–6) meant to encourage defence start–ups during DefConnect 2.0
- iDEX-Prime aims to support projects, requiring support beyond ₹1.5 crore up to ₹10 crore, to help the ever-growing start-ups in the sector
- The iDEX has provided an opportunity to our science and technology professionals to understand futuristic technologies such as AI, Augmented Reality, block-chain and space technologies
- The DISC–6 with 38 problem statements was also launched which relate to Artificial Intelligence (AI), advanced imaging, sensor systems, among others
- Launched by the Government of India in 2018
- Create an ecosystem to promote innovation and technology development in Defence and Aerospace
- Attract industries including MSMEs, start-ups, individual innovators, R&D institutes & academia
- Provide grants/funding and other support to them to carry out R&D. However, R&D should have a good potential for future adoption for Indian defence and aerospace needs
- Objectives of IDEX
- Facilitate rapid development of new, indigenized, and innovative technologies for the Indian defence and aerospace sector in shorter timelines.
- Create a culture of engagement with innovative startups, to encourage co-creation for defence and aerospace sectors.
- Empower a culture of technology co-creation and co-innovation within the defence and aerospace sectors.
- Nodal Body: iDEX will be funded and managed by Defence Innovation Organisation