Published on: December 24, 2021
INVASIVE LANTANA BUSHES
Plans afoot to uproot lantana bushes from BRT reserve, Bandipur in Karnataka
About Invasive Lantana Bushes
- Species of flowering plant
- Native to the American tropics.
- Out-compete native species that leading to a reduction in biodiversity and can greatly reduce the productivity of farmland.
- Survive in a wide range of climatic conditions, including drought, different soil types, heat, humidity and salt.
- First introduced in 1807
- Spread to wildlife reserves, river banks and the Project Tiger areas where it had obliterated native grass and reduced biodiversity.
- In some regions, the plant has made inroads into pastures and shrunk the cattle grazing areas, affecting the livelihood of villagers.
- Natural grass has started growing in the Sajjangarh sanctuary and the spotted deer and other herbivores can be seen foraging on the vegetation.