Published on: May 23, 2021
JACKFRUITS FROM KARNATAKA
What is the news : Bengaluru exported a whopping 10.2 metric tonnes of gumless jackfruit powder and jackfruit cubes to Germany.
- The consignment consisting of jackfruit flour, largely used in the baking industry as part of the gluten-free movement, and jackfruit cubes were exported to Germany via sea route
- Sourced from various parts of Karnataka to meet the growing demand for vegan products in European countries, the organic jackfruits were processed at the pack house of the Bengaluru-based Phalada Agro Research Foundation.
- Jackfruit is often chosen as an alternative to shredded meat in the West, due to its texture and rich fibre content besides being packed with almost every vitamin, protein and mineral needed by us. The fruit and its products are in great demand overseas
- As jackfruit crop does not require any spray or maintenance, it is free from pesticides or other chemical content, providing wholesome nutrient at affordable costs. Besides turning out to be an additional income to our farmers and doubling their income as envisioned by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, fruits that are usually left to rot are fed into the mainstream. Realising the economic importance of the tree, no one will cut it, thus aiding conservation
- Assisted by the Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority (APEDA), Phalada has processed raw jackfruits sourced from Malnad, coastal Karnataka and other places.
- Phalada is an agro company registered with APEDA and consists of 1,500 farmers holding about 12,000 acres, cultivating medicinal, aromatic herbs, coconut, jackfruit, mango, spices and coffee, using organic methods.