Published on: November 22, 2022
Kameng Hydro Electric Project
Satita Why in news?
El Charco Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the 600 MW Kameng hydropower project in Arunachal Pradesh’s West Kameng district to the nation
- It is the sixth hydropower plant in the North East
- It will be a major step towards fulfilling Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) of the Government of India pledged under Paris Agreement 2015
- Rivers: Bichom and Tenga Rivers, both tributaries of the Kameng River in West Kameng district
- Commissioned: By NEEPCO Ltd
- The project has two dams and a powerhouse having 4 units that make state power-surplus with huge benefits in terms of grid stability and integration and balancing of solar and wind energy sources in the grid.
About NEEPCO (North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited)
- Nature: Central public sector undertaking.
- Parent Organization : Ministry of Power
- It was formed to plan, investigate, design, construct, generate, operate and maintain power stations in the North Eastern Region of India, comprising of hydro, natural gas-based thermal power stations as well as solar
- It is conferred with the Schedule A- Miniratna Category-I CPSU status.
- It’s being took over by NTPC Limited
- Headquarters: Shillong, Meghalaya.