Published on: November 22, 2022
Kameng Hydro Electric Project
Why in news?
Prime Minister Narendra Modi dedicated the 600 MW Kameng hydropower project in Arunachal Pradesh’s West Kameng district to the nation
- It is the sixth hydropower plant in the North East
- It will be a major step towards fulfilling Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC) of the Government of India pledged under Paris Agreement 2015
- Rivers: Bichom and Tenga Rivers, both tributaries of the Kameng River in West Kameng district
- Commissioned: By NEEPCO Ltd
- The project has two dams and a powerhouse having 4 units that make state power-surplus with huge benefits in terms of grid stability and integration and balancing of solar and wind energy sources in the grid.
About NEEPCO (North Eastern Electric Power Corporation Limited)
- Nature: Central public sector undertaking.
- Parent Organization : Ministry of Power
- It was formed to plan, investigate, design, construct, generate, operate and maintain power stations in the North Eastern Region of India, comprising of hydro, natural gas-based thermal power stations as well as solar
- It is conferred with the Schedule A- Miniratna Category-I CPSU status.
- It’s being took over by NTPC Limited
- Headquarters: Shillong, Meghalaya.