Why in news? Karnataka government cancels services of Karmika Bandhus under labour department
- Government has decided to revoke the services of ‘Karmika Bandhus’ under the Labour Department due to irregularities and unsatisfactory work
- They work on commission basis and numbers gradually dwindled to about from 1,200 to 243 because of irregular work
What was their role in the department?
- Services of Karmika Bandhus were functioning under the umbrella of ‘Ambedkar Karmika Sahaya Hasta’, that encompasses all the welfare schemes for workers under the Labour Department.
About Karmika Bandhu
- The concept of ‘Karmika Bandhu’ was meant to help spread awareness about the services under the Karnataka Building And Other Construction Workers’ Welfare Board at the rural level at Karmika kendras
- Appointed by Karnataka Building and Other Construction Workers Welfare Board, they work under Labour department
- Their role was to facilitate unorganised workers to register themselves with the Labour Department and help them avail government services
About Ambedkar Karmika Sahaya Hastha Scheme
- It works under Karnataka State Unorganized Workers Social Security Board
It offers the facilities such as:
Smart Card facility:
- Action has been taken to register and issue smart card under one title and one logo, to 11 category of unorganized workers belonging to Hamalis, Domestic Workers, Rag Pickers, Tailors, Mechanics, Washer men, Barbers, Gold Smiths, Iron Smiths, Potters and Kiln Workers.
Shrama Sammana Award:
- From the year 2018-19, among 11 categories of unorganized workers belonging to Hamalis, Domestic Workers, Rag Pickers, Tailors, Mechanics, Washer men, Barbers, Gold Smiths, Iron Smiths, Potters and Kiln Workers, category are being honoured with Award on occasion of Karmika Sammana Day held on 01st March every year.
Karmika Seva Kendra:
- It is established under Unorganised Workers Social Security Act 2008 to reach out the targeted beneficiaries about the scheme,
- Kendras will assist to get the required documents for the purpose of getting the benefits available under various schemes and to fill the prescribed forms and to send to concerned department
- Karmika Bandus: Inform, assist and to get the benefits available under various schemes implemented by the Labour Department and the Boards working under them.
International Migration Centre-Karnataka(IMCK):
- The matter pertaining to semi-skilled and unskilled will be looked by the Karnataka State Unorganised Workers Social Security Board regarding international migration