Published on: October 30, 2022
‘Karnataka Ratna’ award
Why in news?
Actor late Puneeth Rajkumar will be conferred with the ‘Karnataka Ratna’ award the highest civilian honour in Karnataka
- Since 2009, only eight people have been conferred with the award.
- Karnataka govt invites Rajinikanth, Jr NTR for event
All about Karnataka ratna award:
- The Karnataka Ratna is the highest civilian honour of the State of Karnataka, India.
- It is awarded in recognition of a person’s extraordinary contribution in any field. It was instituted in the year 1992 by the Government of Karnataka.
- A total of ten persons have received this award.
- Kuvempu and Dr. Rajkumar was the first to and Veerendra Heggade was lately honoured in 2009 for social service
- The Award comes with a gold medal weighing 50 gm, a citation, a memento and a shawl
List of Personalities received the award
- Kuvempu- Literature
- Rajkumar- Cinema
- Nijalingappa- Politics
- N. R. Rao- Science
- Devi Shetty- Medicine
- Bhimsen Joshi- Music
- Shivakumara Swami- Social service
- Javare Gowda- Education, literature
- Veerendra Heggade- Social service
- Dr. Puneeth Rajkumar- Cinema, social service