Published on: September 15, 2023
Why in news? ‘Kasa kiosks’ to come up across in Bengaluru city
- Bruhat Bengaluru Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) is planning to set up ‘kasa (garbage) kiosks’ across 76 locations in the city.
- Aim: To ensure that the black-spots are cleared and do not turn into a dumping site for garbage.
- Background: After the High Court order in 2002 which had instructed the civic body to remove garbage bins from the road, BBMP had taken up several measures to tackle the problem of black spots in the city including semi-underground bins and ‘Kasa kiosks’.
About Kasa kiosks
- In 2018, ‘Kasa kiosks’ were set up by BBMP in association with Saahas NGO as part of a pilot project.
- Collected waste will be handed over to the Dry Waste Collection Centre (DWCC) while wet waste will be collected by BBMP.
- They are to set up manned waste-receiving unit with colored bins for segregated waste at places where road side dump is common
- It will be manned by personnel who will monitor proper segregation and dumping in the units