Published on: September 15, 2023
Why in news? Project Madhunetri’ was inaugurated in Bengaluru
- It aims to enable the screening of patients with diabetes with mobile screening devices and initiate early treatment for diabetic retinopathy (DR) at nominal or no cost.
- Government is also looking for DR screening to be incorporated into the government’s proposed door-to-door health check-up programme, Gruha Arogya.
What is Diabetic retinopathy?
- Diabetic retinopathy is an eye condition that can cause vision loss and blindness in people who have diabetes.
- It affects blood vessels in the retina (the light-sensitive layer of tissue in the back of your eye).
- Poorly controlled blood sugar is a risk factor.