Published on: December 6, 2021
KASTURIRANGAN COMMITTEE REPORT ON WESTERN GHATS
can i buy Pregabalin in spain Karnataka Chief Minister told the Centre that the state is opposed to the implementation of the Kasturirangan Committee report on Western Ghats.
Recommendations of the committee
- Instead of the total area of Western Ghats, only 37% (i.e. 60,000 sq. km.) of the total area be brought under ESA
- A complete ban on mining, quarrying and sand mining in ESA.
- Distinguished between cultural (58% occupied in the Western Ghats by it like human settlements, agricultural fields and plantations) and natural landscape (90% of it should come under ESA according to the committee).
- Current mining areas in the ESA should be phased out within the next five years, or at the time of expiry of mining lease, whichever is earlier.
- No thermal power be allowed and hydropower projects are allowed only after detailed study.
- Red industries i.e. which are highly polluting be strictly banned in these areas.
- Made several pro-farmer recommendations, including the exclusion of inhabited regions and plantations from the purview of ecologically sensitive areas (ESAs).
- Said 123 villages fall under the ESA purview.