Published on: July 28, 2021
KEMPEGOWDA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT
What is in news : The Kempegowda International Airport has been inducted into the Airports Council International (ACI) Director General’s Roll of Excellence for the year 2020. It’s one of six airports worldwide to get this recognition.
- Why was KIA selected: Efforts and commitment from the entire Bengaluru Airport community
- Passengers have widely acknowledged the services and have consistently voted for Bengaluru Airport, powering it to win four consecutive ACI ASQ Awards (2017, 2018, 2019 & 2020).
- Bengaluru Airport also won global recognition from ACI World’s ‘Voice of the Customer’ initiative that recognises airports that continued to prioritise their customers and remained committed to ensuring that their voice was heard during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020.
- Owned and operated by Bengaluru International Airport Limited (BIAL),(A public–private consortium)
- Opened in May 2008 (as an alternative to increased congestion at HAL Airport)
- Named after Kempe Gowda I, the founder of Bangalore
- Karnataka’s first fully solar powered airport developed by CleanMax Solar
- Third-busiest airport by passenger traffic and total cargo handled in the country, behind the airports in Delhi and Mumbai, and is the 29th busiest airport in Asia
- Awarded as the best airport in Asia-Pacific in 2020 (25 to 40 million passengers per annum) by Airports Council International