Published on: July 28, 2021
SCENE OF CRIME OFFICERS
What is in news : Karnataka government has appointed a separate cadre of ‘scene of crime officers’, a first in the country.
Who are they :
- Specialised in forensic science as well in identification, collection and preservation of evidence at the scene of the crime
- Will identify, record and collect evidence at the crime scene
- Assist investigation officers by providing crucial evidence material
How will they work :
- Ranked equivalent to police sub-inspector
- Part of the Directorate of Forensic Science Laboratories
- Will undergo training at National Forensic Sciences University in Gandhinagar, Gujarat, and Central Forensic Science Laboratory in Hyderabad.
- All districts will have one SoC unit with four to five SoC officials
- Also a dedicated ‘Forensic mobile lab’ for SoC officers will be deployed, so they can arrive at the crime scene as soon as possible with all the equipment needed.