ninefold About :
The Kodavas –
- Patrilineal ethno-lingual community from the region of Kodagu
- Traditionally land-owning agriculturists with martial customs.
- Only ones in India permitted to carry firearms without a license.
- Worship weapons during the ‘Kailpodh’ festival
http://city-made.com/tag/mothers-day/ What is in news : The High Court of Karnataka upheld the constitutional validity of exemption from some of the provisions of the Arms Act to “every person of Coorg race and every Jamma tenure-holder in Coorg”.
- The court said that the exemption under section 41 of the Arms Act satisfies the test of reasonable classification under Article 14 of the Constitution.
- It was argued that the gun, Odikathi (a small broad bladed sword) and the Prechakathi (a type of dagger) are as much a part of the life of a Kodava as the Kirpan is for Sikhs.
- The petitioner had contended that the very classification and use of the term ‘Coorg race’ promotes discrimination between the citizens of Coorg region on the ground of caste and violates Articles 14 and 15 of the constitution.