Published on: September 2, 2021
where to buy disulfiram (antabuse) What is in news : According to United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), use of leaded petrol has been eradicated from the globe
- Milestone will prevent more than 1.2 million premature deaths and save over USD 2.4 trillion annually for world economies.
- Achieved century after doctors first issued warnings regarding the toxic effects of leaded petrol, Algeria (last country to use the fuel) exhausted the supplies in July 2021.
- UNEP also warned that, use of fossil fuel must still be drastically reduced, in general, to do away with the frightening effects of climate change.
- During 1970s, almost all the gasoline that used to be sold worldwide contained lead.
- The UNEP launched its campaign called “Partnership for Clean Fuels and Vehicles (PCFV)” for eradication of ‘leaded petrol’ in 2002.
- Major economies including United States, China and India had already stopped using fuel in 2002.
Impact of leaded petrol
- Responsible for about quarter of energy-related global greenhouse gas emissions. It is set to grow to one third by the year 2050.
- Major health problems like heart disease, stroke and cancer.
- Leaded petrol also impacts the development of human brain.
Significance of eradication: Eradication of leaded petrol is expected to support realization of multiple Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) like good health & well-being, clean water, clean energy, sustainable cities, climate action and life on land.