Published on: September 2, 2021
WORLD’S HIGHEST MOTORABLE ROAD
Where : Kela pass
Connects : Leh to the Pangong Lake
Height : 18,600 feet
Constructed by : 58 Engineer Regiment of the Indian Army
- Strategically important road
- Reduces 41-km travel distance from Leh (Zingral to Tangtse) to reach Pangong Lake
- Aid in boosting the socio-economic status of local residents, especially the people of the Lalok region
- Will facilitate tourism.
- Connects tourists to places with snow sport activities, lakes, nomadic livestock, and rare medicinal plants
MAHITI FOR PRELIMS
- Project Himank, is a project of the BRO being implemented in the Ladakh region of Jammu & Kashmir.
- This project started in 1985.
- Under this project, BRO is responsible for the construction and maintenance of roads and related infrastructure including the world’s highest motorable roads.