Published on: December 25, 2021
MADAN MOHAN MALAVIYA
PM pays tributes to Pt. Madan Mohan Malaviya on his Jayanti
Madan Mohan Malaviya
- Freedom fighter and social reformer
- Born in Allahabad
- Took early education under the ‘pathshala’ system
- Graduated from the Muir Central College (today’s Allahabad University) in 1879
- Served as the President of the INC on four occasions.
- Awarded the Bharat Ratna posthumously in 2014.
- Editor of a Hindi magazine, ‘Hindosthan’, ‘Indian Opinion’ in 1889
- Started a Hindi weekly ‘Abhyudaya’, an English daily ‘Leader’, a Hindi newspaper ‘Maryada’.
- Instrumental in founding the Benares Hindu University in 1916, became its Vice-Chancellor till 1939.
- Opposed to separate electorates to Muslims and the Lucknow Pact.
- Against the INC’s participation in the Khilafat Movement.
- Participant in the Second Round Table Conference in 1931.
- Started Ganga Mahasabha to oppose construction of dams in the Ganga.
- Worked for the temple entry of Dalits at the Kalaram Temple at Nashik, Maharashtra.
- Founded the organisation Shri Mathura Vrindavan Hasanand Gochar Bhoomi in Vrindavan.