buy you a drank lyrics What is in news : According to the Central Pollution Control Board’s (CPCB) Annual Report on Implementing the Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016, the plastic waste generated in 2018-19 was 3.3 million tonnes per year
- What is plastic –
- Material that contains as an essential ingredient an organic substance of large molecular weight
- Polymers of long carbon chains. Carbon atoms are linked in chains and are produced in long chain molecules
- Discovered by famous German chemist Christian Schonbein in 1846.
- Marine Plastic-Sources: Land-based, from urban and storm runoff, sewer overflows, beach visitors, inadequate waste disposal and management, industrial activities, construction and illegal dumping
- What is Microplastic : Under the influence of solar UV radiation, wind, currents and other natural factors, plastic fragments into small particles, termed microplastics (particles smaller than 5 mm) or nanoplastics (particles smaller than 100 nm).
- Impacts :
- Blocks sewers, threatening marine life and generating health risks for residents in landfills
- High financial costs to tackle
- Residents of coastal regions suffer from the harmful health impacts of plastic pollution and waste brought in by the tides
- Abandoned plastic fishing nets and longlines – known as ghost gear – is also a large source, making up about 10% of plastic waste at sea.
- Alternatives to single-use plastics- Recyclable, or biodegradable materials
- Developing tools and technology to assist governments and organizations in measuring and monitoring plastic garbage in cities. Example : ‘Closing the loop’ project of the UN
- Plastic-free workplace
- Responsibility can be applied in the Retail (packaging) sector
- Municipal and community actions & Multi-stakeholder collaboration