Published on: January 20, 2022
http://thisistanuja.com/?p=3284 Denison barb (Miss Kerala), a native freshwater fish species commonly found in parts of Karnataka and Kerala, has been included in Schedule I of the Wild Life (Protection) Amendment Bill, 2021.
- Type of Red-line torpedo barb and roseline shark.
- Scientific name – Sahyadria denisonii.
- Featured with red and black stripes on its body.
- Found in the States of Kerala and Karnataka.
- Listed on the IUCN Redlist as Vulnerable, in 2010.
- Why included in Schedule I of WPA:
- Highly sought-after in the international aquarium trade, constituting 60 – 65% of the total live ornamental fish exported from India.
- Its numbers are also decreasing owing to habitat degradation due to deforestation, mining, agriculture, urban expansion and hydro-electric projects.
WILDLIFE PROTECTION ACT (WPA), 1972
Consists of 6 schedule lists, which give varying degrees of protection.
SCHEDULE 1 AND PART II OF SCHEDULE 2
- Animals listed in schedule 1 and parts II of schedule 2 have absolute protection – offences under these are prescribed the highest penalties.
- Examples of animals listed in schedule 1 are lion tailed macaque, rhinoceros, great indian bustard, narcondamhorn bill, nicobarmegapode, black buck, etc.
- Examples of animals listed in schedule 2 are rhesus macaque, dhole, Bengal porcupine, king cobra, flying squirrel, Himalaya brown bear, etc.
SCHEDULE 3 AND SCHEDULE 4
- Animals listed in schedule 3 and schedules 4 are also protected, but the penalties are lower compared to schedule 1 and part 2 of schedule 2.
- Examples of animals listed in schedule 3 are hyaena, hogdeer, nilgai, goral, sponges, barking deer, etc.
- Examples of animals listed in schedule 4 are mangooses, vultures, etc.
- Animals listed in schedule 5 are called “vermin” which can be hunted.
- Mice, rat, common crow and flying fox (fruit eating bats) are the list of animals (only 4 nos) in schedule 5 [i.e. vermin].
- Cultivation, Collection, extraction, trade, etc. of Plants and its derivatives listed in schedule 6 are prohibited.
- Red Vanda, blue Vanda, kuth, pitcher plant, beddomes cycad and ladies slipper orchid are the list of plants listed in schedule 6.